Being a web editor cannot be improvised. A certain number of rules govern an optimal drafting which, it will be remembered, aims at sharing. Here are six practical tips to proceed … according to the rules of the art!
Who are we writing for?
– The researchers and not the readers: let it be said loud and clear, today’s web users quickly scan web pages in order to find accurate information. It is essential to structure your text well in order to offer them what they are looking for at the first glance.
– The impatient: you have on average 8 seconds to answer your researchers! Your first sentences are crucial: they must be precise, relevant and arouse curiosity.
– Mobile users: 61% of professional executives first use their mobile to consume news. “The user experience” is master in web writing; promote readability by writing paragraphs and short sentences, including subtitles and limiting the length of the text.
A specific target audience: Writing while trying to reach everyone is like talking to no one. Your target must be accurate. To help you, create personas: for example, Mélanie, 38, married, mother, lives in the suburbs, has a car, has an average income of $ x, etc. Adjust your tone and style to this typical reader, and try to find out what his intentions will be when he gets in touch with your web page.
Think about the rhythm
We can never say it enough: the purpose of a text is to capture and keep the reader’s attention. Remember that you are always one click away from losing it! Thus, the use of short sentences, active formulas and adequate punctuation is essential to ensure a good rhythm of reading.
Structure your web page
The recommended length of a web page is about 300 to 500 words. It must include:
– A title (H1): explicit, attractive and comprising at least 1 keyword.
– An introduction: about 30 words, includes the top 3 keywords.
– The body: a general idea by page, an idea by paragraph, paragraphs separated by subtitles (H2 or H3), short sentences, an engaging tone, etc.
– Hyperlinks: 3 to 5 maximum per page, related to your subject and do not lead to the same content twice.
– Images or videos: quality, relevant, referenced and which also include keywords.
Do not neglect SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a set of techniques for the proper SEO of your web page. Reflecting on your SEO is therefore essential for your publication to be read.
To do this, you must first determine your top 3 keywords:
– Insert the strongest in the title (H1).
– Insert the two others in the chap.
– Repeat these keywords and their declination in the body of the text.
Have quality content
A short but interesting and relevant text is far better than content that gets lost in length. Users seek quick information to make informed decisions about a brand or product. The content must be searched, especially since Google likes and rewards websites that publish quality content by placing them in the top positions of search results.
Final goal: sharing
Finally, the ultimate goal is sharing your web page. Content writing to engage and engage your target audience. This is also the best way to increase your SEO.