In this new season that promises to be rich in technology (AI, connected and intelligent objects, immersive experiences), SEO continues its evolution with the improvement of the algorithms, more and more at the service of the mobility and the relevance for the user.
What will be the trends for this new year in the field of SEO? If we know that mobile queries have already exceeded computer searches for several months now, mobility should not be the only objective to meet the crawl appetite of engines. These – Google in particular – are primarily seeking understanding, ultimately, respond to the SERP question (s) of the user, without necessarily having to take it to a site. Which act. Here are some tools that may help you pre-digest the work for engines in 2018.
Semantic markup (Schema.org)
Still underused, semantic markup is an effective way to help engines understand the content of a page for easy indexing. By enriching its HTML code with the help of “micro-data”, the semantic markup makes it possible to optimize the page in view of a better reference.
- semantic markup is based on schema.org structured data, derived from a collaborative vocabulary.
- it will not necessarily be visible to users on a given page, is included in the code.
- it will specify the context of a page, helping the engines to assimilate the subject of the latter by completing information given by the content of the page.
- semantic markup does not require very advanced technical skills since different generators exist to set it up
Google offers its own generator, ( https://www.google.com/webmasters/markup-helper/u/0/) which allows you to directly identify the information you want to include in the micro-data from the page. Note also that other very good generators allow you to code in different standards (microdata, OpenGraph) for various uses, especially for local businesses.
Position 0: direct SEO response
This trend seems to be confirmed in the SERP for several months: with the evolution of mobile and AI algorithms used by users to ask questions (“OK Google” and other SIRI or Cortana), the engines are trying to answer directly in the SERPs to the requests like “How …”, “Where …”, “Who …”, etc.
These questions are obviously related to the new morality of the requests but are also confirmed on desktop and tablet
The 0 position is still complicated to fully understand because extremely volatile, but it would nevertheless appear:
- that it is mainly accessible only to pages classified among the first three natural results (referencing already excellent mandatory, therefore), very rarely to positions 4, 5, 6 or 7.
- for the moment it includes only paragraphs (with or without image), tables or lists, as is the case in our example.
- that it appears mainly only for requests like “Comment”, “Why”, “What”.
HTTPS: security = optimized SEO?
Without going into the details of securing itself, Google announced a few years ago that sites https: // would be better positioned in the engines. In fact (and as confirmed by Neil Patel), the weight of the HTTPS is yet to be demonstrated.
We will quickly come to conclusions that will be similar to those of Olivier:
- do not migrate at all costs from HTTP to https, especially if your site – is a showcase – has low bounce rates – is well positioned
- If you need to modify your URLs as part of a redesign, think about this change by releasing a solid action plan (keep the site in HTTP by redirecting to 301 the already ranked URLs, for example).
- as part of a site creation, opt for the https, with an SSL certificate that can be included in some hosting packages,
- Do not forget to automatically redirect all your URLs via the htaccess, it is mandatory to benefit from the SSL certificate
This is the most technical track on which you can look in 2018: AMP, Accelerated Mobile Pages. With a strong potential on the sites of news, weaker besides, and a complex development, I will let you simply discover with the help of the literature below the operation of these ultra-light pages, thought to facilitate the navigation mobile even in case of weak connection (Edge), thanks to a lightened CSS and optimized images.
- that the gain is far from obvious despite a tedious development
- that the first results are mixed, even if Google’s communication is quite locked on the subject.
- the implementation may be relevant, for example – if your news site is slow – if your developer is interested in the subject – if your mobile traffic is particularly important
Always to follow: mobile compatibility, “Content is King”, social networks, etc.
- Continue, if you have not already started, your thoughts on mobile compatibility. Google could restart the second update of its algorithm to promote sites optimized for mobile. So be careful by monitoring your mobile site (responsive, m.monsite.com mobile version) via Analytics and search console.
- Make sure that you have a good server and 100% server uptime and if you have good traffic, I suggest you Linux VPS Cloud Hosting because a server can also help you to have the fast speed that is one of the most important ranking factors.
- If there is one track that you can (and can) continue to follow in 2018 certainly in terms of earnings, it is the content.” Content is King” will not fade away, whether it’s video, articles, photographs, graphics and other SlideShares. Be creative, without pressure from the recurring but with a strong editorial action plan in mind.
- Think community = quality and exploit the social networks without obligation of the result: no, you will not pass miraculously from 0 to 10 000 followers in one month. The community is built on the content, the relevance of the content, the added value of your blog posts and videos. Be selective, address a well-defined target
4 SEO and web marketing trends that will mark 2018
On the web marketing side, the year 2018 will be marked by the consolidation of trends and the continued adaptation of companies to new data on the behavior of Internet users. In terms of SEO, professionals will remain attentive to changes in Google’s algorithm that has just pushed the maximum size of the meta-description, interesting tag that brings the click from the results page.
- Mobile navigation
Mobile browsing will continue to gain ground at the expense of the desktop. In the United States, it already accounted for 34% of web browsing in 2017. Internet users spend more time on their smartphone. The average will approach two hours a day. The year 2018 will be that of the optimization of websites for screens of mobile terminals. If responsive design is now a prerequisite, other reflexes will settle permanently in the development and content creation hubs. Goal: Boost the user experience on the mobile device.
- The customer experience
The customer experience, the leading figure of marketing professionals, will continue to feed on big data and machine learning. We will still aim in 2018 to better understand its target, whether real or targeted, to offer a good or a custom-made service, calibrated for its real needs and in line with its aspirations. Personalization will continue to be a vital issue, which will gradually reduce the hegemony of mass marketing, with the spin-offs that we imagine on SEO.
- The video
A well-referenced video on strategic keywords will be good for your business or that of your client. According to the search engine watch, 6 people who watch one video out of 10 will share it or talk about it. In united states, YouTube is visited by 4 million unique visitors on average. We tend to hide this data, but YouTube is the 2 th most used search engine after Google. It would be a shame to deprive yourself.
Snapchat launched Snap Map last summer. Other social networks will certainly follow suit in the near future, even if the debate on the confidentiality of personal data is in full swing. Geolocation has increased exponentially the rate of local searches on Google. Specifically, in 2017, a third of Google queries related to searches related to institutions located in the region of the user. Google My Business pages will continue to flourish in 2018!
My name is William Jacob and I am a professional writer. After completing my study I started my career as a blogger and as a writer. I am 5 stars rated author at HolyPakistan. I have 4-years experience of writing in different niches like health, travel, lifestyle, business.