Saliva plays an essential role in our health about cleansing and moistening the mouths as well as digesting much food. Other salivas’ function is to prevent infection from funguses and bacteria in our mouths. If you don’t make enough saliva, your mouth will soon become dry and unpleasant. Dry mouth also referred to as xerostomia, is a widespread problem faced by lots of people of many ages. Luckily, there are many remedies which can help you solve to dry mouth problem. Now let’s figure out the causes, symptoms and how to get rid of dry mouth.
Causes of Dry Mouth
Xerostomia can be the result of a change in the components of saliva or reducing the amount of it produced. The salivary glands don’t work correctly because of the following causes like ageing, pregnant and dehydration; your lifestyle (such as snoring, smoking or drinking alcohol) also contributes to this problem. It is a common side effect of specific medical treatments used in depression, anxiety, nerve damage, allergy as well as muscle relaxants and sedatives. Another possible reason contains both radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Symptoms of Dry Mouth
You feel parched in your mouth. You suffer from thick and sticky saliva, a red and raw tongue, frequent thirst, sore mouth, bad breath. You don’t only get loss of taste, cracked lips but also get trouble in chewing, speaking and swallowing. All are the warning signs of dry mouth.
Xerostomia can bring discomfort, primarily because of the stringy feeling in your mouth. A simple solution to this problem is to change your lifestyle and follow home remedies. Make sure to take the daily methods until those symptoms are no longer.
How to Get Rid of Dry Mouth?
Have you ever get xerostomia and want to escape from it but you don’t know how to get rid of dry mouth efficiently and safely? Be calm and follow our safe home remedies for dry mouth, which are easy to do and help to relieve your status soon.
Increase Liquid Consumption
Dehydration is a common reason leading to dryness in your mouth. Keeping your body hydrated will make it easier to produce more saliva. There are some tips for you:
- Eat many water-based fruits and vegetables like pineapple, watermelon, and cucumber.
- Consume a glass of coconut water or smoothies, fruit juice, and vegetable juice daily.
- Drink herbal teas like the green tea rose tea or others.
- Eat liquid foods such as soups.
- Avoid sodas, caffeine and alcoholic drinks which may cause dehydration.
Cayenne Pepper is useful because of its digestive and detoxifying properties as well as salivary stimulation glands. Therefore, it is one of the conventional methods for dryness in the mouth. Besides, it will also help enhance your taste of better distinctive different flavours. All you need to do:
- Take a pinch of cayenne pepper on a wet finger and rub it all over the tongue. You will feel a burning sensation in the interval of a short time, but it may increase your salivary production.
- Sprinkle your soups, salads and other dishes with cayenne pepper.
Oil pulling has been known as a natural moisturizer for ages, and this is very beneficial in oral hygiene and get away from lousy breathing. This method can be taken with olive oil, coconut oil, and other edible vegetable oil.
- Take one teaspoon of oil.
- Swish it all over your mouth for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spit the oil out and brush your teeth as usual.
- Do this once every morning.
Aloe Vera has been used as an age-old remedy for treating xerostomia. It can bring plenty of advantages in beauty and health. Aloe Vera may not only trigger the function of the salivary gland but also help protect the sensitive tissues in your mouth and bolster the taste buds. Drinking ¼ cup of aloe vera juice is how to get rid of dry mouth.
Also, rinse your mouth with pure aloe vera gel 2 to 3 times a day. Take some gel on a cotton pad and apply it evenly inside your mouth. Leave it on for some minutes and then rinse your mouth with cold water.
The acidic nature of lemon can help protect oral health and relieve your dry mouth.
What you have to do:
- Stir a glass of half a lemon juice and honey. Remember to sip this liquid the whole day to keep hydrated.
- You can consume homemade lemonade without sugar to treat dryness in your mouth.
- Alternatively, sprinkle a pinch of salt on a small piece of lemon. Rub it all over the tongue to support your taste buds.
Ginger has many medicinal benefits associated with it. Ginger seems to be very useful in stimulating saliva, which can help in keeping your mouth fresh longer. That is due to gingerol – a bioactive compound.
Slowly take in a small piece of ginger. Do this 2 to 3 times a day.
You can consume a few of ginger tea with honey every day. It is suitable for your health.
Apple Cider Vinegar
You will need to add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and mix well. Sip on this mixture throughout the day. Repeat this remedy daily.
That is an adequate remedy for treating dry mouth because of the presence of the main component of apple cider vinegar (ACV) called acetic acid. ACV is often known for its antibacterial and antioxidant properties.
What Is Good for Dry Mouth?
- Do not smoke limit your intake of caffeine.
- Consume sugar-free gums or sugar-free candies.
- Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol.
- Keep your body well hydrated.
- Try using moisturizing sprays and gels.
- Breathing through your nose instead of your mouth, especially at night.
- Use a room humidifier at night. That keeps the air around you moisturized.
- Avoid sugary and fizzy drinks.
- Have a protein-rich diet, including more soups and broth in your food.
Dry mouth may be significant trouble with many people. This condition can also affect your social life due to the detrimental symptoms. Therefore, it is better to know how to get rid of a dry mouth to treat at earliest before it recurs. Following our home remedies is effective and safe, but please ask your doctor if your status lasts longer.