Living a healthy and happy life is something we all desire for. However, there is no dearth of negative aspects surrounding our daily lifestyle. From mental stress to unhealthy food items, many things harm our health. This is why the number of people suffering from heart diseases is getting higher and higher with time. Work-related stress and lack of physical activities are adding more pressure to our hearts.
Once your heart starts getting weaker, the chances of heart attack increase considerably. For this reason, it is important to take proper care of your heart. It can be done by following some useful tips. This article will provide you some easy and effective tips that can lower the risk of heart disease.
How to keep heart disease at bay?
- Quit smoking- People who smoke daily are more prone to heart disease. If you smoke, the chances of getting a heart attack increase by two folds. For this reason, it is vital to abstain from smoking. It is also important to mention that even passive smoking can lead to heart disease. Hence, if you spend a lot of time with active smokers, you need to discourage them from smoking; or change your company.
- Improve your cholesterol level- You might have heard this tip many times; it is quite true that cholesterol is bad for your heart. Be it the good cholesterol or the bad one; keeping both of them in check is important. In case the level of good cholesterol (known as HDL) is less than 40 in your body, and the level of bad cholesterol (known as LDL) is higher than 160, you are more likely to suffer more heart disease. To prevent heart disease, the overall cholesterol level has to be below 200.
- Control high blood pressure- Many people suffer from high blood pressure, also known as hypertension. It is one of the most common reasons related to heart disease. Even though there are medicines available to keep high blood pressure under control, you have to take on the daily. People who have high blood pressure often experience a lack of energy. They feel tired very soon.
- A healthy diet is essential- Your body becomes what you feed it; for this reason, it is crucial to maintaining a diet that can improve your heart’s health condition. You should eat food items that are high in nutrients and low in fat and cholesterol. Whole grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, beans, nuts, etc. are healthy food items. Plant-based food items are quite useful for your health. Fiber-rich food items should also be included in your diet. If you want to include some non-vegetarian items, then fish (tuna or salmon) and eggs are more suitable.
- Eat-in moderate amount- Many people eat more than what their body needs. If you consume many calories regularly and do not burn them, the extra calories will get converted into fat. As a result, you will start turning obese. Like we know, obesity leads to various types of health issues, and heart disease is one of them. Hence, it is important to limit your calories.
- Exercise regularly- Physical activity is very important for ensuring good health. There are many ways to make it happen; you can work out in a gym; you can walk at least 2 miles in a day; you may join a dance class, etc. You have to include some cardiovascular exercise into your daily workout routine. In this way, the muscles of your heart will get stronger, and your heart will remain in good condition for a long time. Exercise will also positively affect your mood.
- Control anger and stress– When your mind constantly remains under stress, it ultimately affects your heart. If you get angry very soon and quite too often, you must do something about it. You can join a yoga class or meditate at your home, which in turn would make your mind feel more relaxed. If conditions do not improve, you can seek an expert’s help.
- Choose medicines wisely- Certain pills are considered bad for your heart’s health. For example, some OTC (over the counter) pain relievers like NSAIDs and acetaminophen are not good for your heart. You should also stay away from decongestants and certain antibiotics.
So, those were some of the tips you must keep in mind if you want to take good care of your heart. Besides, it is also important to consult with the best doctors for heart disease in case you want to get the best results.